Monday, December 10, 2012

Baking cookies candy and rice crispy treats oh my!


Do you remember the goody bucket that my mom brought home from work when we were little girls?  After we moved to Florida and else where we never had those delicious buckeyes again… well unless we wanted to buy a small box of them at cracker barrel and they were expensive.

The internet was becoming popular and emails were flying around with wonderful Christmas recipes.  The recipe for the buckeyes landed in my email one day and I was inspired.  Now I am not a cook or baker by any means so this was a HUGE deal.  The recipe for making chocolate covered oreos suckers fell in my email box also.  I was in inspired even more. So that also went on the shopping list.  Rice Krispy treats went on that list too.  Kind of think about it, I think Rice Krispy treats were in that goody bucket too.
I bought all my stuff and invaded my sister’s kitchen.  My sister was queen of the kitchen and most queens would not look too kindly upon somebody invading their territory.  Lucky for me, my sister was the cook and the baker and joined in the merry Mess … I meant cookie making.
We melted the chocolate.  We mixed up the peanut butter and powered sugar for the buckeyes.  We stuck sucker sticks in double stack oreos.
We dipped the oreos into the chocolate and stuck them in green foam blocks to harden.
We rolled up peanut butter into balls and dipped those into chocolate to look like buckeyes.
We found out that….
The cream in the oreos melts because of the melted chocolate and the cookie part slides off.
The recipe in the buckeyes always (its been made many times afterwards) calls for to much powered sugar.  Ever buy a Reese cup and the peanut butter was dry and crumbly … that is how the buckeyes were.  
We learned milk chocolate chips would have probably been a better choice! 
There is a thing as to much chocolate.  We had tons left over so we started dipping other things into it like pretzels, the cats tail, we poured it over the Rice Krispy treats too and we made peanut candies
Ha just kidding about the cats tail.
As they say it’s not the destination, it was the journey.   .
They may not have been a 100% success but we did not fail either LOL.  We had fun making the mess… eer treats. We learned not to put as much powered sugar as the recipe calls for.  We learned not to make chocolate covered oreos, it’s easier to buy them LOL.   We learned that you can’t mix chocolate chips with rice krispy treats, they melt.  We learned that chocolate will stick to the ceiling.
Ok that was actually crayon wax that stuck to the ceiling, which is totally a different story and nothing to do with the holidays.  Hee hee.
I hung up my baking apron and my sister started making the treats.  She was a bit savvier at it then I.  Except for last year she refused because she was on a diet.  UGH!  I once again pulled out that baking apron and made the buckeyes.

 It’s a tradition that I won’t let a diet get in the way LOL.  I managed to make a decent buckeye too.  The trick is,  pour in the powdered sugar a little at a time and mix it in.  When the peanut butter is not too sticky and will form a ball then ad no more sugar.

 Recipe for the buckeyes


Original recipe makes 5 dozen
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
 6 cups confectioners' sugar  (Secret Santa here... monitor that sugar!)
4 cups semisweet chocolate chips   (Secret Santa here... its better with milk chocolate)


Directions
1.In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, butter, vanilla and confectioners' sugar. The dough will look dry. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a waxed paper-lined cookie sheet.
2.Press a toothpick into the top of each ball (to be used later as the handle for dipping) and chill in freezer until firm, about 30 minutes.
3.Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler or in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir frequently until smooth.
4.Dip frozen peanut butter balls in chocolate holding onto the toothpick. Leave a small portion of peanut butter showing at the top to make them look like Buckeyes. Put back on the cookie sheet and refrigerate until serving.

omg this next link will tell you how to make the oreo pops as they call it with out the cookie falling apart... GENIUS!



2 comments:

  1. Now Santa you know I like dark choc. why ruin a good cookie with milk choc. LOL only kidding any choc, is good choc. This is one I will soooo enjoy making.
    Hugs, Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh you can use dark chocolate but if your a reese cup fan like we are you will want to use milk chocolate.
    I hope you do make them. They are so worth it!

    ReplyDelete